Cincinnati, OH (June23, 2016)  The Cincinnati Dayton Dutch Lions (1-5-3   6 points) played to a 1-1 draw with leagued leading K-W United FC (7-1-1  22 points) on a rainy, muggy evening.  The defending champions got the early lead, but a very nice assist from Man Of the Match, Jack Clark, led to a Rudy Lumanza Sambe equalizer that tied things up before half and neither team could break the deadlock in the second 45 minutes.

The Lions were playing a match at Winthrow University high school stadium for the first time.  It is the team’s primary practice field and the hosts looked at home from the beginning of the match.  Starting with a much more attacking lineup, Cincinnati was able to maintain possession and stay in the K-W end for the opening 10 minutes.  The pitch was a bit fast as a 30 minute downpour proceeded the kickoff of the match.  This led to some late tackles and the ball skipping away from players.

At the 17th minute mark, the visitors earned back to back corner kicks and made the second one count to take the 1-0 lead.  The corner went far post and was initially headed out, but not cleared.  A K-W midfielder got the ball on the right flank and crossed it right back into the box.  United’s striker was first to get a touch and put the ball in the back of the net.

The goal took some of the energy from Cincinnati, but they continued to work for each other.  The hustle and ball winning from Chris Dupont and Ryan Melink in the midfield gave the Lions several good opportunities.  The hard work was rewarded at the 25th minute when Melink won a ball and played it out wide to Clark.  Clark beat his man down the wing and sent in a cross.  The K-W keeper got his hand on it, but could not control the cross.  It fell into a pool of several players and Sambe took a quick shot.  It was deflected and Sambe hit it again and put it in the lower right hand corner.

The Lions started to take the game to the league leaders and had three strong chances in a row.  Matt Vasquenza was able to latch on to a through ball and had a quick one-on-one, but the keeper deflected his shot.  The Lions earned two direct kicks that Dupont put into the box, but no one could get on the end of each cross.

The half ended at 1-1.

The Dutch Lions started the second half with some confidence.  This was the second meeting between these two teams and the first ended in a disappointing 1-0 loss in Canada.

“I liked how the lads finished the half.  We started to create chances and I really felt we could get the game winner in the second half.  We played these guys very well on our road trip up north and I quite liked what I was seeing tonight.  Melink and Clark were  very active and giving them some issues,” said Head Coach Terry Nichol.

The second half was an open back and forth show with both teams looking for the winner.  No quality chances came about until the 65th minute, when Cincinnati got into the box and dropped the ball to the top of the penalty box for an onrushing Scott Lamont.  His shot was struck well, but went wide of the post.

K-W United came right back and had their best chance of the half when their striker cut inside and his shot beat Lions keeper, Pedro Diaz Guitterez, but hit the crossbar and came back out.

Clark just a minute later had a great shot saved.   He beat one defender on the right side and cracked a low screamer that was far post and goal bound.  The United keeper got down quickly and palmed the shot just around the post.

A 77th minute free kick for the hosts was crossed in and several went for the header, but again the K-W goalie was able to punch out the ball at the last minute.

As substitutes brought some pace back into the match, the game continued to go up and down the pitch with neither team gaining an edge.

In the 84th minute, a late two footed tackle from behind gave the referee little choice as he gave a straight red card and ejected a K-W United midfielder.  The one man advantage for the final six minutes was hopefully the edge that could lead to a late winner for Cincinnati.  Unfortunately it did not come.

As the game was in stoppage time, Diaz Guitterez made a huge breakaway save to preserve the 1-1 draw.  A United striker was able to get behind the Lions backline and as he entered the box, Diaz had cut the angle down and took away the shot opportunity with a strong save.

These two teams will play again tomorrow, Saturday, June 25th at 2:00pm.  The game will be played at the Doc Stadium on the campus of West Carrollton high school.  It is part of a two game Canadian doubleheader as brother team, the Dayton Dutch Lions, will host Toronto FC tomorrow evening.

The Lions take a well deserved point off the top of the table team and look forward to another chance for a win on Saturday.




This story was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.
  • Dutch Lions TV

    Dutch Lions TV
  • Sponsor Opportunities

    Learn more...
  • Try-outs